Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
“He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with my news...check if I'm happy.” Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban tells the story of Harry's third year at Hogwarts. As in his first two years at the wizarding school, he encounters some serious troubles. First his aunt from the evil Dursley side of the family, visits and continously mocks Harry. After he can not take it any further, his anger gets the best of him, and he inflates her. This causes him to have a meeting with Dumbeldore, the Ministry of Magic, and other important wizarding leaders. He is a given just a warning, but told if another situation like this happens again, he would be expelled from Hogwarts. This is only the beginning of his troubles. He later is caught in the halls late at night with a banned map by Snape, has his death predicted by one of his teachers, and comes face to face with some of Voldemorts most powerful followers, and Sirius Snape who is the believed to be the killer of his parents. Despite all this excitement the story can be somewhat dull during the long middle. For this reason I believe it is a below average Harry Potter book, but still recommend (because well, it is still a Harry Potter book). Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is an exciting book during the early and late stages, but carries on a bit too much in the middle.
Reading about Harry enflating and floating his despicable aunt away his very satisfying. The fear of when Ron falls into a dangerous tree by himself and other followers of Voldemort is thrilling. What makes these parts of the book so riveting and intense, is the setting in which JK Rowling portrays. She is able to make you feel like you are tagging right along with Harry, Ron, and Hermionee. Through this sharp imagery, the conflict comes to life. It sets you up for a thrill ride for the final chapters. Ron chases after his rat Scabbers into a tree that has three Death Eaters inside. Harry and Hermionee must find a way in to save their friend from sure death. While inside, they find that Scabbers is really a Voldemorts most loyal Death Eater, who shape-shifts into a rat, and was the real snitch who told Voldemort where to find Harry's parents. This person was thought to have been Sirius Black, who also was charged with dozens of murders. In reality Sirius tried his hardest to save Harry's parents but was framed for the murder. They find this out, and Harry and him truly meet each other for the first time, and Harry finds out that Sirius is his god father. They plan on living together before Scabbers escapes, which means Sirius has to as well. Despite all this excitement, the book was dull at times and and became hard to get through the very long middle.
While certain parts of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban were amazing to read, there were some parts that were hard to get through. Normally in Harry Potter books the middle is both an essential and fun read. However in this book it was tedious and far too long. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (the second book) has been my favorite one so far, and this was because it is a great read from start to finish. In the Prisoner of Azkaban, there is far too much time in the story where the plot is being stretched along. The author just keeps telling of another day of Harry without anything truly noteworthy happening. In conclusion though, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is worth the read, but only if you are a Harry Potter fan and willing to read through the boring parts, for the truly exciting ending.