Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave by Frederick Douglass | Teen Ink

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave by Frederick Douglass

June 3, 2015
By jaffroninja BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
jaffroninja BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Douglass learned that freedom could be attained through skill with words. Frederick Douglass was a slave during the 1800’s.Throughout the book The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, Douglass learned the only way to achieve freedom was through his words. He knew his actions wouldn't mean or do much in the “big bad world of the white supremacists. The only way to get his point across was to write what he witnessed all his years during slavery. Douglass uses a strong matter-of-fact tone during the course of his narrative. The reason for this, is because after all those long years of slavery it made him a “harder” person. Douglass quotes are very to the point.

During Douglass narrative he makes very straight to the point quotes. At the beginning of the book Douglass quotes “The white children could tell their ages. I could not tell why I ought to be deprived of the same privilege”. (chapter 1 pg 3). This quote is told during Douglass’ childhood. Douglass is just realizing about slavery and  wondering about why he doesn’t have the same privileges.   It’s a foreshadowing to Fredericks future when he finally gets out. Frederick Douglass always seems to compare himself to the “white folk”. He does this not because he wishes he was white but that he wishes he was a free man. Later Frederick Douglass said “I prayed for freedom for twenty years, but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.”(pg 134)  This quote is a direct example of Douglass tone. By saying this he didn’t start praying hard until he saw no end to his slavery. Frederick is exclaiming that when he prayed he received no pity until he got down on his knees and did something about it.

Douglass continues throughout the narrative to give very powerful quotes that collaborated with his life. The following quote proves just that“The white man's happiness cannot be purchased by the black man's misery.” (pg 34). During this part of the narrative, Douglass is just now realizing the terrible truth that is slavery. He still wants the freedom he’s been so desperately seeking. “Once you learn how to read, you will be forever free.” This quote is an example of Douglass love for literacy. Reading and writing is a passion for him and reading gives him a way to escape. It is a metaphor of him being set free.

Frederick Douglass found that writing, especially writing in his tone gave him a metaphorical freedom. He always found this to be the best method to achieve this such freedom. In the end Frederick Douglass found his real freedom and had a better understanding of the world.


The author's comments:

It's a great read and I recommend it to the strong readers out there.