Stiff: The Curious Life Of Human Cadavers | Teen Ink

Stiff: The Curious Life Of Human Cadavers

By cruzer6 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
cruzer6 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

Stiff by Mary Roach is a complicated, yet interesting book about the many scientific ways a human cadaver is used. The book is very informative about the ways people can donate their bodies to help science understand the human body. Stiff grabbed my attention from the beginning. The author did an amazing job of making the book less terrifying to read by cracking jokes, using puns, and telling us about her thoughts at the time of the interviews and watching cars being crashed into walls. The chapter, “Crimes of Anatomy” was my favorite section in the book. All of the information was interesting and unexpected. It was spine-chilling knowing that scientists from over one hundred years ago, would have even thought of doing what they did to the living and the dead. On the other hand, there were a few things that could have been explained more, such as what is more efficient, freeze-drying or cremation. I would have liked to have more information about the efficiency of several other uses of human cadavers. Over all, the book answered many questions I had about cosmetic surgery, car safety, and how medical students learned how to do surgery long ago. I would suggest this book to anyone who has an interest in going into the medical field, they will most likely find Stiff intriguing and somewhat funny.