Columbine by Dave Cullen | Teen Ink

Columbine by Dave Cullen

By Gabe Mein SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
Gabe Mein SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

As a student of Columbine, even the title of the book intrigued me. I wanted the truth of the history at my school and what really happened. I wanted to be able to answer questions and put myths to rest when I am asked by people that do not know as much. I believe that this book answered the questions I had and defined what was true and what was not about the massacre in April, 1999. Of course, not every person that reads this book is a student or was a student of Columbine so they probably have different intentions. Depending on the age, the reader might have a background of what happened and will probably be reading out of curiosity for more. Most readers will probably not expect such an in depth look into the killers, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. The author, Dave Cullen, does an awesome job with describing what was thought to be going on inside the both of these boys’ heads. As well as this description might’ve been, it could be my only flaw with the book as well. Dave Cullen publicized his book as inside look of the Columbine shooting which I believe he achieved. What I don’t think he publicized is how much of the book is about Harris and Klebold. I personally love the background information, I think it was partially needed for understanding of why the shooting happened in the first place. However, I have classmates that were surprised about how much of the book was about the killers and not about the students and teachers that were there that day. I know that if other readers are like my classmates, they will be disappointed when they realize that this book is not for recognition of the 13 lost even though it is written in remembrance of them, a notion that I thought was important. Dave Cullen wrote this book to provide the truth of the shooting which I believe was he was right in doing. It was something that the ones affected and their families deserved.