The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

By Curlyqjr BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
Curlyqjr BRONZE, Midvale, Utah

The first  time I read The Secret Life Of Bees, I was awed. This book is absolutely beautiful, and very well written. It gives the reader a new look on life, one that allows them to not only  read, but feel the feelings and affection that this book brings out in a person. After reading this book, my perspective my life completely changed, and I was able to look past any greed that I had, and I realized how lucky I am.
This story begins in a little town in Sylvan, South Carolina in 1968, where there lived a young teen named Lily Owens. Lily lived on a small peach farm with her father whom she calls T. Ray, who is neglectful and abusive. Ever since the accidental death of her mother when Lily was four years old, she had been haunted by the brief but traumatising memories still lurking in her mind. Young Lily was constantly being reminded of the accident and that leads her to become curious, and desperate. After being told by T. Ray that her mother had abandoned her at a young age, Lily decided that she wasn’t going to allow T. Ray to make her believe in the lack of love from her mother, so she decides to run away. Taking her caregiver and friend Rosaleen, who was an African American laborer, with her as she sets off to find the place where her mother had run off to when she was still alive. Lily decides to run to Tiburon South Carolina where she meets an African American family, and she learns what it really means to be in a family, and the truth about her mother.
This book is easy to relate to, especially the relationship between a mother and a daughter. This book is great for every age above 10. This book is really brings out the best in people and teaches empathy. I recommend this book to everyone out there looking for a fantastic piece of literature that is easy to read, and is good for the heart and soul.