Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

Fault in Our Stars by John Green

By CoffeeLover BRONZE, Wasilla, Alaska
CoffeeLover BRONZE, Wasilla, Alaska

The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited or erased. It can only be accepted.

Cancer is such a dreadful disease, regardless of age, gender, or status. John Green, the author of The Fault In Our Stars, creates a story of teens fighting cancer that could very well be real. It's a story of romance and anger, excitement and humor, friendship, and bravery.

Hazel Grace Lancaster, a 16-year-old teenager with thyroid cancer that has spread to her lungs, is forced by her mom to attend a support group. Hazel's lungs are so badly damaged by cancer that she must always be connected to a source of oxygen.  During the meeting, she encounters a 17-year-old boy named Augustus Waters who's recovering from osteosarcoma. Augustus is there to support their mutual friend, Isaac, who lost an eye to a tumor, and now he has to have his other eye taken out as well.

Hazel and Augustus eventually travel to Amsterdam together to meet Peter Van Houten, the author of Hazel’s favorite book, An Imperial Affliction. The characters in this book so closely describe Hazel's life and the battle she is fighting. And because Van Houten deliberately left the book unfinished, Hazel’s dream is to travel to Holland to find out what happens to the characters in Van Houten’s story. Unfortunately, when they meet Peter Van Houten, it doesn't exactly go as planned. First of all, he's a mean drunk, and second, he has no interest in answering any of their questions.

Through these unconventional friendships, Hazel learns be more open and adventurous and to care about the people around her. She also learns to appreciate life, family, friends, and everything she has.

Green’s characters try hard to protect their family and friends by showing only smiles and strength whenever possible, but beneath it, they also hide the depression and hopelessness they feel while holding on for hope. Green takes readers on a journey that's both terrible and beautiful.

The novel is beautifully written, funny, and just fantastic. It's easy to get immersed in Green's story and to imagine what it would be like to be Hazel, Augustus, or Isaac. Although these characters face turmoil and tragedy, Green also shows the lighter side of life through humor.

Tragic and beautiful tale resonates with teenagers