Mole People by Jennifer Toth | Teen Ink

Mole People by Jennifer Toth

April 6, 2015
By wortheng BRONZE, WIllington, Connecticut
wortheng BRONZE, WIllington, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"let my people go" -Moses


Do you believe in government conspiracies? Maybe Area 51, lizard people or… groups of people living under New York City? Jennifer Toth dug deep into the stories of the people living in the tunnels under the city, and brought her discoveries to the public. Mole People is an entertaining, informative story about the perils of living life underneath the streets of New York. Published by Chicago Review Press in 1993, Toth brought the stories of the underground homeless to the public through a series of interviews.
Written as a series of real interviews, Mole People has really brought me a new perspective on cultures, and what goes on where we can’t see. In her writings, there are stories of people who never see the surface, babies born in the layers where there is no sunlight, and crime that the police never even hear about.
I believe that this book would be an enjoyable and engaging read for anybody who can read. People living in cities will find the stories of communities under their feet interesting, people living in more rural areas will be fascinated by the seemingly alien cultures, people living on low incomes even will be able to find a new appreciation for what they’re given in life. Mole People is an essential story for our generation.


The author's comments:

hello