Paper Towns by John Green | Teen Ink

Paper Towns by John Green

March 27, 2015
By kerrymbrennan BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
kerrymbrennan BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Paper Towns
John Green is known best for his über-famous teen romance novel, The Fault in Our Stars. While this book is an outstanding read, I feel that John Green has created so many other amazing works that are hidden in the shadows of the hype of The Fault In Our Stars. The most prominent of these hidden books is John Green’s novel Paper Towns. Paper Towns is a contemporary teen thriller about the suburban life of a nerdy boy, and the popular girl that he perpetually pines after. Although it may initially sound similar to a stereotypical boy-meets-girl novel, it is so much more than just that. Paper Towns is the best novel I have ever read.
Paper Towns is centered around the ‘ordinary’ life of a nerdy, quiet boy named Quentin Jacobsen. Quentin is a senior in high school, right on the verge of freedom. Unfortunately, this means that Quentin is also on the verge of never again seeing the love of his life, Margo Roth Speigelman. This extraordinary girl not only goes to Quentin’s highschool, but she is his next-door neighbor and used-to-be best friend. Convenient, right? Due to her queen-like status, secretive and intimidating personality, and football-playing boyfriend, Quentin knows his chances at ending senior year with the girl of his dreams are slim to none. So he continues to admire her loyally from afar… well, as afar as a next-door neighbor can be. Then, out of the blue, Quentin’s dream becomes reality… but only for one night. On a normal school night, Quentin awakes to a figure sauntering towards his bedroom window. Who is it but Margo Roth Speigelman, queen-bee and love of his life. She easily compels him to go on a late night adventure with her. Being as he is madly in love, Quentin did not question why she chose him, considering they had not talked in years. Let’s admit it, we all would have gone with the (secret) love of our lives (even on a school night!). Yet, when Quentin arrives at school a few hours later, Margo is nowhere to be found. So what, it’s not a huge deal for a student to be absent. But when the days begin to pass and she’s still not there, Quentin starts to question her antics. What happened to the Queen Bee? Was it Quentin’s fault? And more importantly, where is she, and why did she leave her perfect life so ambiguously?
Although it may sound analogous to your typical modern day romance story, it is anything but. Not only does this novel lead you on ups and downs, it will pull at your heart strings in every way possible. Goofy Quentin will relate to the reader, from his deep thoughts about his future to his hysterical judgments of his peers. Margo may at first seem like a distant, unrealistic character, but she draws you in almost instantly. Paper Towns is just one of those rare novels that brings you into another world and when you are forced back into reality, you see everything a bit differently. The overall themes of this novel are the engaging adolescent topics of teenage love, adventure, and life after high school. This expansive mix of ideas creates an exhilarating, scary, and yet still uplifting spirit throughout the entire book. I highly recommend this novel to anyone and everyone who just wants to escape reality for a little while, because we all want to sometimes.
Also, I warn you: Read Paper Towns before July 24, 2015! ‘Why?’ you may ask. Because this phenomenal novel has finally been drafted into a screenplay, casted, filmed, and is being released as a major motion picture on this date! If that’s not exciting, then I don’t know what exciting is. Nat Wolff, who played Isaac in The Fault in Our Stars, will take the lead as Quentin Jacobsen. Cara Delevingne, a British model turned actress, will co-star with Wolff as Margo Roth Speigelman. As fantastic as this movie will be, it is common knowledge that books are always better. Therefore, I adivse everyone to pick up a copy of Paper Towns soon! I promise, you will not regret it. Paper Towns is a life-changing novel, even for those who don’t realize their life may have needed change.