The Hoot by Carl Hiaasen | Teen Ink

The Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

March 25, 2015
By AndrewP17 BRONZE, Bangkok, Other
AndrewP17 BRONZE, Bangkok, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Sometimes you’re going to be faced with situations where the line isn’t clear between what’s right and what’s wrong. Your heart will tell you to do something different. In the end, all that’s left is to look at both sides and go with your best judgment.”(Page 160) One of the most interesting stories I had read called “Hoot”. Carl Hiaasen wrote hoot and it was given a Newbery Honor Award in 2003. This story is about a boy called Roy who just moved to his new house in Florida and finds many problems which causes him to grow up and become an adult and I really like this book.

          The story takes place in Coconut Cove, Florida, where Roy is the new kid in school, and the school bully, Dana, has already bullied him. But one day, he sees a mysterious running boy without shoes while he’s on the school bus, so he tracks him down not knowing that this acting will change his whole life. Who is the running boy? How is he going to change Roy? You have to go after this book to find out!

          I love the theme of the story, which is about growing up. It supports the idea that life is all about change and how we adapt to it. After Roy moved to Florida, He found many problems and struggle through those problems. He has to solve the entire problem by himself with a little support from parents. This will eventually makes the reader see that Roy is really growing up when you read the story.

          The story is about parental love, which causes children to be an outstanding adult in the future or an adult without future. This book can make you understand how life is like and how parental affects a child by contrast Roy’s parent to the running boy’s parent which will give the answer to the question “How parental affects a child?”

          Another reason I liked this story is it connected to many experience of my life as a normal child. This story talk about bullying that can happen to everyone in daily life including me, which it tells about the best way to stop bully. For example in many part of the story, Roy tries to stop Dana from bullying him and some of his plans work and some don’t. This story connected to my childhood and I’m 100% sure that this story would be connect to your life as well.

          Carl Hiaasen is also a very interesting writer. He makes the character from the story looks realistic and complex. For example, all of his characters do something both with thinking and without thinking, which that makes the story seems real and perfect. For example from the story, when Roy saw running boy beside the bus, he decided to follow him without thinking. Roy looks like real human because he done something without thinking just like what real human will sometime do, which we called this action that doing something with their heart.

          A story called Hoot is amazing because this book was written by Carl Hiaasen, which is very interesting writer. This story will also gives you good lessons for life that you can use in your daily life and I believe that if you have been a kid, you should read this book. This book would return you to your childhood. So let go and grab this book now!