13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

By mengel21 SILVER, Holgate, Ohio
mengel21 SILVER, Holgate, Ohio

13 Reasons Why, written by Jay Asher, is a very deep and eerie book full of mystery and suspense, and is the winner of fourteen different awards.  In the book the main character, Clay Jensen, has received a package on his doorstep wrapped with brown paper and sealed with tape, but no return address.  Obviously he did what anyone else would do, including me:  He opened it.  But, this box was no ordinary gift.   It was full of seven cassette tapes wrapped in bubble wrap, each have a number on each side up to 13, along with a map.  As he puts in the tape marked with the number one and begins to listen, he is struck with shock and confusion.  Clay thinks to himself:  Hannah Baker is dead.  Why am I listening to her voice on these tapes?  The girl that created these tapes is named Hannah Baker.  What he can’t figure out is that she died two weeks ago from swallowing a handful of pills but yet, he is listening her voice.  Hannah created these tapes because she wanted to let these thirteen people know exactly why they were involved in her killing herself.  As Clay listens to Hannah’s voice and follows the map she created, he finds out exactly why each person is at fault for her death along with many secrets that were buried with her. 
Reading this book has given me a different aspect of life and how the way you treat others is very important.  There are many bullies out in the world and if you don’t want to be part of the problem, then be part of the solution.  If curling up with mesmerizing, suspenseful, addictive book with a thriller-like pace sounds good, then 13 Reasons Why is definitely the book to read.