The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

March 24, 2015
By Bri_420 BRONZE, Monongah, West Virginia
Bri_420 BRONZE, Monongah, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever felt like you were set into a certain group and you had no choice? No one knows this feeling better than Ponyboy Curtis. He is part of the social class called: The Greasers. They’re the “bad kids” that always wear black and leather, are always fighting, always carry knives on them, and always have their hair slicked back. They live on the east side of town. On the west side, we have the Socs. The Socs are the preppy, rich, jocks, and show-offs. They always get what they want. But, here’s the twist; the Socs are the actual bad kids and the Greasers are the good ones. They just have to fight to get what they want.
All the trouble begins when Ponyboy is caught by the Socs while he was walking home from a theater late one night. The Socs threaten him and pull out a knife. Darry, his older brother, runs to save him. He is very paranoid of the Socs after that, and that is possibly the only thing that saves his life in the future. He’s alone in a world with only his brothers and his close friends, can they make it? Or will some die trying to make it in a world like this one? Read The Outsiders to find out.
I recommend this to anyone 12 or older. Anyone who wants a good read that they won’t forget should read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.
In my personal opinion, this is one of the best books I have ever read. It was defiantly worth it, and after you have a different outlook on life almost. If you only want to read one book this month or year, I whole-heartedly suggest The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.


The author's comments:

I read The Outsiders first semester in class.