Paper Towns | Teen Ink

Paper Towns

March 20, 2015
By Anonymous

Imagine your childhood best friend and life-long crush appearing at your window in the middle of the night asking you to accompany her on an all-night adventure avenging everyone who has ever done her wrong. This was the case for seventeen-year-old Quentin Jacobsen in John Green’s book “Paper Towns.” How could Quentin ever turn down the opportunity to spend a whole night with Margo, the most beautiful girl he had ever laid his eyes on?
Eight years prior to this, Quentin and Margo were strolling through the park when they shared a discovery that would change their lives forever. Lying cold dead on the ground before them was Robert Joyner (a man they had never seen before); he had killed himself. Mysteriously, since that night, Quentin and Margo went their separate ways. Quentin was an intelligent child of two therapists; therefore, he lived a balanced  life with little drama. Margo, on the other hand, had a reputation for being cool and tough; she was not as obedient to her parents.
The two of them were now seniors in high school. Just a few weeks before graduating, Margo appeared at Quentin’s window inviting him on an all-night journey, righting all of the wrongs that have been done to her. This night consisted of pranks, spray paint, blackmail, and breaking into SeaWorld. Thinking that this night would bring he and Margo closer, Quentin agrees to assist her. Little did he know that after returning from their adventure, she would run away.
Quentin recruits to his two friends, Radar and Ben, along with Magro’s friend, Lucy, for help in an attempt to “save her”. The four of them embark on a cross-country journey using clues left by Margo in a volume of Walt Whitman’s “Leaves of Grass” and end up missing their high school graduation. While playing this “game” of hide-and-seek, Quentin questions whether or not Margo is really the person he thought she was.
Author John Green’s depiction of life in this suburban Florida town allows readers to glimpse the culture and social challenges its residents experience. The unique qualities of Green’s characters adds an interesting dynamic to the story. Margo calls her town a “paper town” as a metaphor to describe a town with cul-de-sacs and streets that turn into each other and are lined with cookie-cutter houses. Green’s vivid descriptions give readers a little taste of life in Florida. 
Due to mature language and subject matter, “Paper Towns”  would be better suited for readers above the age of thirteen. The book takes readers on an adventurous roller coaster ride filled with an abundance of emotion. You’ll have to pinch yourself to return to reality!