Freak Show | Teen Ink

Freak Show

I knew from the moment I read the back cover that I was going to love this book. It's a classical tale of an outsider taking on old ideas and trying to change the way people think. Unfortunately, Billy Bloom's opposition are the ultra-white, ultra-rich, ultraconservative students at Dwight D. Eisenhower Academy, who aren't thrilled to welcome the drag queen extraordinaire into the fold. His efforts to both fit in and stand out are met with hostility and disgust.

Billy's voice is constantly up-beat and enthused, never letting anything drag him down. At least, until he loses one of his first friends and uncovers the grimness of Eisenhower Academy. He befriends the school's outsiders and challenges the beliefs of the community, continuously providing a bright and exuberant rendition of fabulous fashions from all ages. His over-the-top manner barely let me turn the pages between laughter. The reader begins to feel empathetic with Billy's situation and begins to cheer unconsciously for him.

It's sad, brilliant, inspiring, funny, and everything else. James St. James really makes the reader feel like they are struggling through the situation right beside his hero. I couldn't put it down, scared my dog from laughing too much, and decided to loan it out to all my friends. Billy's courage in facing every situation is inspiring, but realistic as well. It forces the reader to pay attention to issues that are generally written off, or issues that make them uncomfortable. I couldn't think of a better book to recommend if you're looking for a funny underdog story.

LastChapter said...
on Oct. 6 2010 at 3:18 pm
LastChapter, Hempstead, New York

(couldn't think of anything better at the time) "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."-Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

who is this by?