The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien | Teen Ink

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

January 20, 2009
By Anonymous

The Hobbit is in my opinion among J.R.R. Tolkien's best works. Although many people have not read this book, as it is not directly in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, it is just as good if not better. It is a much easier book to read than others in the series, and should appeal to a younger audience.

The book starts out peacefully, and then plunges into an exciting quest when several unexpected visitors appear at the Bilbo Baggins's house. Bilbo Baggins is a Hobbit, who lives happily in a peacefully in a region called the shire. He then embarks on a quest with several dwarves, and his friend named Gandalf to find a great treasure.

The book is very emotionally involved, when a great tragedy happens to a countryside village, you feel pity for the people who's lives have been destroyed. You feel a mix of horror, disgust, and empathy for a deranged hobbit-creature that lives inside the mountains. Throughout the story you feel a fear for the lives of the characters.

The whole story is exciting, and never very dull, unlike some of the other books in the series. There are many artistic works in it such as poetry, songs, and many descriptive scenes. The story pays great attention to detail, and you can see the scenes coming to life inside your imagination. The imagery is so great you don't just seem to see the scenes, you can hear, feel, and smell them.

J.R.R. Tolkien must have put great effort into making this book, and it shows. It is an essential part of the Lord of the Rings series, and offers insight into the origination of the ring, while still being a complete story independent from the rest of the series. In conclusion, this is a great book, with excellent imagery, it is valuable to the plotline, and is very exciting.