The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time | Teen Ink

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

January 20, 2009
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Christopher Boone is an autistic savant who is very good at math and science. He enjoys puzzles and when he finds his neighbor's dog with a pitchfork through it he takes it into his own hands to solve the mystery of who killed it. Although author Mark Haddon has had a lot of experience working with autistic children and that certainly helped him portray an autistic character, I found The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time to be confusing and difficult to follow at times. It was a decent book, but would not recommend it for this reason. Christopher is narrating the story and because he's autistic he often leads away from the story and talks about completely different subjects for several pages at a time.

I also felt that the swearing in the book was a bit offensive, distracting and unnecessary.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is set in Europe. The town Christopher lives in is modern day. He lives with his dad and attends a special school. He is an only child. His dad is very patient with Christopher and goes along with him and his autistic needs. Even so far as to letting him put food coloring in his food because Christopher found it more pleasing that way.

There are enough surprises in this book to keep the reader turning pages. .