To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. | Teen Ink

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

To kill a mockingbird is a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Harper lee published in 1960. It was instantly a successful and has become a classic of modern American fiction. The novel is loosely based on the author’s observation of her family and neighbors, as well as on an event that occurred near her hometown in 1936, when she was 10 years old.
The novel, to Kill A Mockingbird the plot is set in the 1930’s and is a very powerful story. It’s one of those books that you don’t want to put down. The book revolves around a young girl named Jean Louise Finch who goes by the nickname “scout”. Scout and her brother Jem are being raised by their father, a lawyer named Atticus and a housekeeper named Calpumia in a small town in the south. AT this point in time in the south racism and discrimination towards black was a big issue.
The story begins when scout is 6 years old, and her brother is about to enter the fifth grade. That summer Scout and her brother meet a young boy named Dill ho comes from Mississippi to spend the summers there. They become fascinated with h a man named “boo” Radley, man in his thirties who has not been seen outside of his home in years, mainly because of his suppressed upbringing. They have an impression of Mr. Radley as being ugly and evil man.
There are many different themes in to Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. The first theme is “Prejudice” the whole story revolved around the prejudice views of this southern community. With all the negative points that can be found in the story in respect to prejudice, there was a bright spot when it came to the prejudice issue. This “Ray of Light” came in the form of scouts father Atticus. Atticus represents hope. Hope that good people exist. Even a society filled with hate. Atticus represented the hope that one-day things can change. Atticus would be a great role model.
This book made me feel like I was back in the 1930”s, it was funny at times, and sad at others. Harper Lee did a good job describing the settings. I would recommend this book to anyone that hasn’t read it, or haven’t read it in awhile.