Animal Farm | Teen Ink

Animal Farm

January 16, 2009
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Animal Farm, a book by George Orwell, is a book about animals who drive away their unmerciful leader (the farmer) and take control of the farm. But all does not go well, as some animals think they can rule.

This book fits into the genre of adventure with a little mystery thrown in. The book uses the aspects of adventure by having the animals overthrow their leader in an epic takeover mission but still has a speck of mystery by keeping the reader wondering where certain characters went or what certain characters are doing.

What I liked about the author's writing style was how he used comparisons to show how some animals were more like humans than they thought and how the author used so much figurative language and still keeps the book at a level that a middle-schooler could understand.

There is not much comedy in this book as it is more about the animals and the problems living on the farm run by animals.

This book does a very good job giving you a sense of where it is set: A farm tucked in between two others with big rolling pastures and many animals working to build a better life.

The author's voice really helps to show the book's theme and describe the language better. It also helps show the setting more clearly.

I would read this book again because of all the great things the author does to describe his characters. The author does an awesome job showing off the theme and the language. He has no trouble putting you right into the book and making you feel like you're one of the animals working on the farm. He shows off all the animals in a way that makes them all feel like the main characters.

A little about the author, (George Orwell). He grew up in Motihari, Bengal on June 25, 1903 and studied at Eton. From 1922 to 1927 George served in the Imperial Police in Burma. After living in Paris for two years he returned to England where he worked as a private tutor. Orwell fought on the Republican side in the Spanish civil war and was badly wounded. During World War 2 he served in England's home guard and worked for the B.B.C. He joined the Tribune and later became a special correspondent for the Observer. He died in London in 1950.

The setting in Animal Farm is greatly pronounced by George Orwell and his writing style. The book is placed in about the same time period as we live now. It has some differences like animals running farms and less industrialization. At some points in the book the author makes you feel like you there alongside the animals, like during the battle of Cowshed, an awesome scene where the author uses his great writing styles and the animals' great personalities to paint a perfect scene. Sometimes when I was reading I thought that I might just be able to close my eyes and see the lush green pastures, the huge towering windmill, the pigs, horses, goats, sheep, chickens, and all the animals.






The main characters of animal farm are Napoleon, Squealer, Boxer, and Snowball. The writer does make me believe in Snowball, Napoleon, and Boxer as people but Squealer is too much of an animal to make me believe that he could be a person. Snowball shows that he could be a person when he says, “Comrades, it is half-past six and we have a long day before us. Today we begin the harvest.” Napoleon seems like a person when he acts rashly and chases out Snowball. Boxer is conceived as a human when he adopts the motto, “I will work harder.”

A main part of the plot is when Snowball (a main character) is chased out of Animal Farm, and also when the building of the windmill is taking place and when the battle scenes are played out. But some questions remain. What chased out Snowball? Will he return? What about the windmill? And the battle scenes? You'll have to read Animal Farm by George Orwell to find out.