Animal Farm | Teen Ink

Animal Farm

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Animal Farm was written by George Orwell. George Orwell's real name is Eric Arthur Blair and was born in Motinari, Bahiri, India on June of 1903. Orwell's three most notable works of art are: Homage to Catalonia, Animal Farm, and Nineteen Eighty-Four. The theme of the book is that dictatorship is very bad. The genre of the book is science fiction because in real life or even something like real life, pigs couldn't speak English.

The voice that George used in this book is third person narrative. I think that he used that type of person is because it would be easier for the pigs in the book to speak rather than have one of the pigs narrating the story as it would have to be if it was a first person narrative. His style of writing is trying to be funny but isn't that funny at all. An example of this would be the quote “The only good human being is a dead one (49 Orwell).”

The whole part of the story takes place on Manor Farms, Hillshire, England. It is the time of spring in England at this part of the story. In the beginning the pigs are consulting the donkey about how they should overthrow the human owners of Manor Farms.

Snowball and Napoleon are the two main characters of this book. They are the pigs that head Manor Farm after the humans are driven out by brute force. Under Snowball's regime, the farm prospered and grew; but when Snowball fled because Napoleon and his evil dogs chased him out, the farm went into a very deep depression. I dislike both of the characters because of the way that they both ran the farm. Snowball had this council that agreed to everything that he suggested so basically it was like a dictatorship except only the council was Snowball's way to supposedly show the other animals that they had a say in the activities and decisions that went on around the farm. Napoleon was just as bad because he had a dictatorship and some dogs that did all of his dirty work for him. An example of his dogs doing all of the bad work is: “At this, there was a terrible baying sound outside, and nine enormous dogs wearing brass-studded collars came bounding into the barn and came right for Snowball (57 Orwell).” Napoleons' gains from his leadership were that he got to sleep, eat, drink, and live in the big fancy house that only the pigs and he got to live in. While on the other hand, the other animals had to sleep out in the barn and eat very little. So in my eyes, they're both equally disgusting because one deceived others and the other was just plain out cruel and cold hearted.

The plot was very boring. It was your typical plot of the bad guys gets thrown out of power. After the humans are out, then the supposedly good pigs are elected into power. Then they get thrown out because the animals finally realize that they are bad. Finally, the real good animals come into power and repair all of the damage done by the two earlier dynasties.

This book is very overrated. People are thinking too highly of it. Woopdedoo, some pigs can talk and take over a farm.

I'm not entirely sure if you understand the book's points of the Russian Revolution, satire, and allegory.The points you said were 'trying to be funny' were actually trying to be ironic, and succeeding at that. Also, the book's genre was not science fiction, and that in itself is quite insulting to the book. 

You do know that Animal Farm was based on the Russian Revolution. It was really well written (the book) Again, it's one of my favorites. You seem to not like all of the books I love.