Brisingr by Christopher Paolini | Teen Ink

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

January 14, 2009
By Anonymous

One year my brother received a book for his birthday, called Eragon. He read it and said that I should read it, too. Ever since then I have been hooked on the Inheritance Cycle.
Brisingr, by Christopher Paolini, is a fantasy novel and the third book in the Inheritance Cycle. Brisingr starts out with a farm boy who found a dragon egg and turned into a Dragon Rider. His dragon's name is Saphira, and together they must overcome many challenges. First, they must rescue his cousin Roran's girlfriend, Katrina, from some monsters called Ra'zac. Then he must return to the Varden, a rebel group trying to take the Empire back from an evil king, Galbatorix. Then he must travel to the dwarves' city to help them choose a new king. And finally, he must return to his mentor to learn more about magic.

I enjoyed Brisingr especially because of its detail and theme of growth. Here is an example of Mr. Paolini's detail, “Arching her neck, Saphira roared toward the sky, sending fire from her belly rippling out through her mouth in a flickering sheet of flame.” If you read Brisingr you will be amazed not only with the detail, but also with the growth that transforms Eragon from a simple, rural boy to an experienced Dragon Rider. Since some of Eragon's challenges involve fighting, I would recommend this series to kids from 10-15 years old.