The Secret Life of Bees | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of Bees

January 13, 2009
By Anonymous

Everyone has a secret; it’s just a matter of learning others. But sometimes it’s hard to believe for tiny animals to have such phrases kept in the closet. The Secret Life of Bees is an extraordinarily written novel about little Lily Owens, who just happened to have killed her mother at the age of four. The accidental child murderer lived with her abusive father, walking into LaLa land every instant with her supposed heavenly mother. This book is set in the 1950’s, America’s integrated stage. But sometimes, it is the colors within that really matter. Lily’s nanny, Rosaleen, is also desperate for a journey out of their quaint town in South Carolina. Lily has a moving idea to explore a specific place, Tiburon, South Carolina. Lily chose this coincidental land because her mother left an artifact of her time with the name of the interesting town. The artifact, for a very significant reason, is the Black Mary, on a Black Madonna honey jar. Random, right? Once one opens the pages to this addicting novel, one will figure, there is nothing haphazard about the mysterious honey jar. Join Rosaleen, Lily, and some other friends along the way, on their own little excursion to find the truth about Lily’s mother, and a world full of secrets that have no help but to be revealed.


The author's comments:
hey guys! Well I'm in love with writing (it's second nature) and i adored this book! The inspiration it took me for this book was my extra credit reading project. It basically is, we don't do the review, no points! I actually found a lot of enjoyable qualities in this review and i encourage others to begin writing! It really is worth it.