The Tale of Despereaux | Teen Ink

The Tale of Despereaux

The Tale of Despereaux, good? Better yet, great. This is a compelling fantasy story of a young mouse born with strangely large ears and a small body traveling the halls, corridors, and also dungeons of a king's castle looking to save the love of his life, Princess Pea from an immanent death. Kate DiCamillo has written a wonderful tale of a mouse battling his fears and also his soon-to-be great enemy, Roscuro the rat. Roscuro is a rat, which used to be good, but one day he left the dungeon of the castle, and went upstairs looking to find light. He found a party the king was having and climbed to a chandelier over looking to get a better view. He started to fall, and the little princess spotted him and yelled “Rat!” When Roscuro heard her, he was dazed at the sound of the word and how hideous it sounded. From then on, he tries to get his revenge on her for calling him a “rat”.
This story was written in a way that most normal authors do not choose to write. DiCamillo wrote in third person and also second person. This was one of those books I couldn't set down, I had to keep reading, and I had to know what would happen to the tiny Despereaux. This is a book that really any age could read; it may seem as if only children could read it, but actually, anybody with an imagination could. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I recommend it to anyone willing to take the time to just read a great book.