Tyrell by Coe Booth | Teen Ink

Tyrell by Coe Booth

By Kev.Dollaaz BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Kev.Dollaaz BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Everyone loses games, few change them".

Tyrell Book Review      The book Tyrell by Coe booth is by far the best book I have read since I learned how to read. This book is an urban & realistic fiction story, with an young adult genre. Tyrell is about a family who lives in the streets of New York City’s South Bronx.
Tyrell’s father is in jail, so Tyrell was forced to take care of his younger brother Troy & his mother. They were moved to an hotel, so they can get their life together, but everything dependes on Tyrell’s actions. He has to make some money so he can get his family out of the situation they are in. 
Tyrell is also in a sticky situation getting caught up with these females. His girlfriend Novisha is mad that Tyrell has dropped out of high school, but she still loves him & takes care of him when he needs it. But there is this other girl named Jasmine, Puerto Rican, kinda thick, 15 years of age & staying in the same hotel at Tyrell. The author believes “Tyrell  realizes that his attraction to another resident, Jasmine, could derail his dreams of a future with his gir”l, Novisha, But i think that just cause Jasmine was trying to get with Tyrell, This doesn’t mean he would have ruined his future with Novisha. It’s a choice.
This is why I find this book interesting, The author Coe Booth is a very strong & highly detailed writer. The setting, the theme, just every last detail grabs your attention. What’s going to happen next? Is he going to do this, will she do that? The author will have you thinking about similar questions as these, because the way she made every detail in the book is accurate & specific.
This is a very good book because it can be a life changing moment for some teens. Living in poverty maybe the worst experience you can face as a young adult, having to take care of your mother & your brother. Living in the projects 15 & a half years, can't get a job at the time. How else are you suppose to make money to provide for your family.
I recommend this book to most teens who have struggled at one point in their lives & people who never lived in poverty. Some people don’t understand what it is like to have to take care of your family and you’re not able to work to provide food, clothes, and a home to live in. Some people do know what it is like to be in a bad situation, to not have money to do anything because of the environment & community you live in.