Upstate by Kalisha Buckhahon | Teen Ink

Upstate by Kalisha Buckhahon

By Destiny Carranza BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Destiny Carranza BRONZE, Sacramento, California

The book “ Upstate “ by Kalisha Buckhahon. The book is fiction and mostly stays around the topic of crime , romance , and teen drama.“ It was the first time she had visited me here in upstate New York. It was the last time I saw her.” A book that can bring you out your seat. 

The book takes place in an upstate prison , where Antonio is charged for murdering his father. While he’s in prison his 16 year old girlfriend Natasha faces multiple challenges which include Antonio a lot. They keep their love sparked while facing many challenges together , such as Natasha believing Antonio’s story or Antonio trusting Natasha to be faithful and loyal to him. Then theres Trevon , Antonio’s little brother who has a really BIG surprise at the end.

The language of the book is for more mature readers. It includes many graphical details that I think middle school students shouldn’t read. There’s hardly any violent parts but there are very harsh words.

I highly recommend this book to kids in high school , because of the language. I think that high school students should read this book. It has an amazing love story and a really surprising twist. It really shows how he maintained in prison. I honestly love this book , its a perfect book for teenagers and a good book for adults. Read the book , you won’t regret it.