Cinder and Ella by Kelly Oram | Teen Ink

Cinder and Ella by Kelly Oram

By AvidReader15 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
AvidReader15 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Be the change you want to see in the world.
- Gandhi

“A great character needs trials to overcome—experiences to give them depth, to make them vulnerable, relatable, and likable. Good characters need hardships to make them strong. The idea makes sense, but it still sucks if you’re the heroine” (Cinder and Ella).
     Cinder and Ella  by Kelly Oram is a modern take on the classic story Cinderella. What sets this novel apart from other renditions of the tale is that both protagonists are misunderstood teenagers who are just trying to find their purpose in the world. Tragedy leads to happy ever after for two teenagers in this coming-of-age novel that will redefine your definitions of love and life.
     Ellamara (also known as Ella) Valentina Rodriguez is your typical teenage girl who shares a love and passion for reading and blogging. Through her blog, Ellamara befriends Cinder who becomes her best friend even though they have never met in person. She lives alone with her mother after her father left them when she was a young girl for his new family. On her eighteenth birthday Ellamara and her mother get into a fatal car accident which leaves her crippled and scarred. Now, Ellamara is forced to go live with her father in Los Angeles along with her new stepmother, and two stepsisters whom she has never met before.
     Brian Oliver (also known as Cinder) is the Hollywood bad boy but he is trying to shed his former image by accepting the role of Cinder in the new movie “The Druid Prince.” In order to help better his image, Brian’s management team plans a fake engagement for him and his co-star Kaylee in order to show that Brian is maturing and settling down with the woman he loves. Even though Brian doesn’t want to fake an engagement, he decides that he will do it because he believes that it will help him during award season. That all changes when he receives an email from an old friend, one that he hasn’t spoken too in a long time.
     Ellamara and Brian’s worlds collide in the best way possible. Each character is looking for someone to accept them for who they are on the inside and neither character knew that they would end up finding their soul mate through a blog about a classic fantasy series. This novel combines the best aspects of Cinderella and makes it relatable to teenagers today. Read this novel and be prepared to go on an emotional journey that will have you thankful for all the supportive people in your life and define your definitions of love and life.
****This book is told from alternating points of view between Ellamara and Brian.

This novel quickly became my favorite book of 2014. I am embarrassed to say that I judged this book by its cover but after reading some of the reviews I gave the book and try and loved it. It will make you appreciate the people in your life who accept you for who you truly are. People who don't judge you based on your looks or use you for your money are the ones who you have to keep close to you. This book is a keeper and I hope that you all will feel the same way too.