Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days by Jeff Kinney | Teen Ink

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days by Jeff Kinney

By Leilani Akima BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Leilani Akima BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days     

Greg Heffley is looking to start off summer right but will it go as planned or be a complete disaster? The summer just started and Greg Heffley is more of an indoor person but when his dad takes away the T.V. and his video games, he decides that he will try to make this the best summer with his friend Rowley and his crush Holly . He tries to do many outdoor projects but they all end in a disaster. When he looks back at his crazy summer, he realized that it was not that bad and possibly the best summer yet. Personally, I like the movie better than the book because even though the movie left out a lot that was in the book, it had an addition of things that were better.
There are major differences between the book and movie. In the book, Greg Heffley started going to the country club with Rowley Jefferson, his best friend, and from buying so much smoothies, there was a bill of eighty-three dollars and Greg had to find a way to pay it all back. In the movie, Greg started going to the country club with Rowley, and from buying so much food, the bill equaled to two hundred and sixty dollars but his dad paid for it. Another big thing is in the book Greg has a birthday and that is how he came up with the money to pay Mr. Jefferson, Rowley’s father, back. But in the movie, instead of having a party for Greg, it shows Heather Hills, Holly’s sister, having her sweet sixteen and getting destroyed by Rodrick, Greg’s older brother, but Greg gets to spend time with Holly and she thinks the whole situation is funny. I think the director made those choices because it made the movie way more interesting than the book because it was funnier just by replacing that clip.
My opinion on the book was it was okay. There were a lot of characters in the movie but not in the book. The movie, on the other hand, was good and I enjoyed it because the parts that weren’t in the book were kind of the funniest parts of the movie. I would prefer you watch the movie if you don’t feel like reading and you like humor and read the book if you like to read. If you like both, you should read the book first then watch the movie and you can compare the differences and see how different they really are. My opinion is that you watch the movie because I personally like the movie better. I suggest you watch the movie and read the book if you want and compare the both together.