Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand | Teen Ink

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

By Thaze BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Thaze BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii

Movie/Book Review “Unbroken”

“If I can take it I can make it” quote by Louie Zamperini, Olympic athlete and POW (prisoner of war) survivor of World War II. Louie Zamperini was born on January 26, 1917 in Olean, New York, to Anthony Zamperini and Louise Dossi.  Being an immigrant’s son made it hard for Louie to fit in. Because of this he had a rough childhood and had to constantly run like mad to avoid being caught by the police. His life took a turn when his older brother saw how fast he ran and decided to train him every day and he became the best. After competing in the Olympics Louie joined the Air Force to become a bombardier. After a failed rescue mission Louie found himself a POW in Japan. My opinion is that the book was better than the movie because it shared more of his life with better detail and description.
    There were many differences between the movie and the book. First of the entire movie switched back and forth between Louie’s childhood and his work in the Air Force as a bombardier. I thought that switching made the movie a little more confusing. In the book Laura Hillenbrand wrote that Louie’s friend Phil was a short man and needed a booster seat to see over the cockpit.  In the movie Phil was actually taller than Louie. In fact Domhnall Gleeson the person that plays Phil in the movie is actually 6?1”.
     One interesting part of the book that was left out of the movie was about what happened after the Olympic race in Berlin. Louie saw a German flag and thought it would be a good souvenir, so he stole it and was chased by German guards but eventually was given the flag. In the movie Angelina Jolie showed the flag but didn’t explain why it was significant. I think she should have; it would have showed what a rascal Louie was.
     Another event in the book that was not shown in the movie is how the plane Phil and Louie rode on was named Super Man. Many pilots and their crew named their plane vulgar things and referred to it as a she but not Phil, he referred to his plane as a dude.  Another interesting part that would’ve been good to show in the movie was how Louie and Phil tried to escape the Japanese ship by rowing to shore.  In fact they almost made it. 
     I think the most moving part the book was before Louie came home. Even when the Air Force thought he was dead, his mother always believed he survived. On September 2nd, the Air Force told Louise her son was alive.   She made this day her own Mothers day. 
     When I compared the book and movie “Unbroken” I thought that the book was better.  In the book I got to learn more about Louie and his family. On the other hand the movie helped visualize how much Louie’s body degenerated and how excruciating being punched in the face 250 times was. I think the best way to experience Louie’s life and pain is to first watch the movie and then read the book. The movie introduces you to Louie and the book elaborates upon his troubled life leading up to the war and what happens after it.