I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai | Teen Ink

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

February 1, 2015
By Wulan BRONZE, Richfield, Minnesota
Wulan BRONZE, Richfield, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


I Am Malala is an eye-opening memoir.  It is about a 17-year-old girl named Malala Yousafzai.  Malala started a blog at age 11 under the name of Gul Makai.  She continued to write and speak up about women’s rights to education under BBC. Eventually (3 years later), she was found, not as Gul, but as Malala.  Malala got shot in the left side of her head.  The bullet went down her face, and into her neck, and she was hospitalized.
For the most part, this was an enjoyable novel. Despite the extra detail, the unnecessary storytelling, it was enjoyable. The story that she wanted to get across could have happened in a much shorter and less boring time.  In fact, it was almost all told in the prologue and last chapter or so. I, one of many people, do in fact look up to Malala. She is a role model to many people around the world. She believed in something, and stuck with it even though there were many setbacks throughout her whole journey.  Before reading this novel, I did not really know much about Malala, her family, or the journey that they have gone through to get to where they are today.  Ziauddin Yousafzai (Malala’s father) has also worked with women equality. Although there was a lot of detail which at times felt like the story was dragging on, it also gave the story more life and made it seem as if the reader was involved in the whole thing.  Her journey from being shot took her from living under strict rules in Pakistan, to being hospitalized in England, to going to school in the USA. Malala is the youngest person to ever win a Nobel Peace Prize award. Malala’s campaign is winning people’s hearts and minds, both men and women. She still has a lot to do and a long way to go, but she has made excellent process. Malala still remains humble and quiet, even though she is one of the most known people of today. Malala’s book definitely inspires people to stand up for what they believe in and to change the world. I Am Malala really shows that anything can happen.  Malala lived under strict rules that would not have let her do anything she wanted to do, but she fought through it and spoke out.