Breaking Night by Liz Murray | Teen Ink

Breaking Night by Liz Murray

By Alisha97 BRONZE, Columbia, Connecticut
Alisha97 BRONZE, Columbia, Connecticut

Book review for breaking night.

Liz Murray

“In the years ahead of me, I learned that the world is actually filled with people ready to tell;
?Homeless person or business person, doctor or teacher, whatever your background may be, the same holds true for each of us: life takes on the meaning that you give it.” - Liz Murray
         This passage is a quote from  Breaking Night, which is a book I had read in my book team.  I appreciate this quote a lot because Liz; the main character in the book  goes through many life changing events and struggles hard in her younger years,  she has to learn how to cope with two parents who abuse drugs, have drug addictions, and contract sexually transmitted diseases, She has a younger sister that she stays in touch with throughout her struggle. She doesn't do well in school growing up, so she ends up not going at all she gets in trouble with truancy, was bounced around from friends house to friends house. Got into a couple really unhealthy relationships and much more. This quote goes along with Liz Murray’s story because it shows that regardless of your home life or background, even history. You can be successful in this book Liz became homeless and living on her own (all over the place.) Between friends and the few people she created relationships with. sleeping in motels, in the subway and other places that she couldn't call home.  To not be in school, or have a job, or have your  own steady place to live, without proper hygiene or health. Liz being such a young adult struggles much harder when it is brought to her attention her mother has been diagnosed with AIDS. Being that there is no cure for it she starts to feel empty knowing she never really had the relationship a mother and daughter should have.
     I think my favorite part of the book is after recently losing Lizzie's mother her father finally comes clean about contracting AIDS, the emotions that must have been going through her head must have been devastating, to lose your mother, then face losing your father for me even would be the hardest thing. One of the reasons this part of the book means a lot to me because throughout the book both parents abuse drugs as well as each other, Her father  lives in a shelter after her sister leaves to go stay with Brick; who is a recent boyfriend of their mothers. He takes both his daughters out to eat and after he admits to contracting the most deadliest disease AIDS he starts to change and become a much better father than he ever was in the past to both of his girls. My dad when I was younger was an extreme alcoholic, like her dad. I can relate to her in many categories, many I won't get into. However when she forgives her father for everything, and puts all the negativity aside to re-build a relationship for the better with him; it really hit home for me.