Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare | Teen Ink

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

December 14, 2014
By Syblys GOLD, New York. City, New York
Syblys GOLD, New York. City, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Reviewing: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
             
 It is the late 1870s in London. A teenage boy with midnight black hair, crystal blue eyes, and spiraling black tattoos etched on most of his skin stands in a deserted street, illuminated by nothing but flickering gas lamps, is holding a shining dagger. In front of him, a writhing demon awaits. It doesn’t take long for the teen to destroy the demon as it explodes on “a shower of ichor and guts.” If you’re wondering where all this action is taking place the answer is rather simple: this is the prologue of the “Clockwork Angel,” by Cassandra Clare, the acclaimed author of The Mortal Instruments. “Clockwork Angel” is the first book of the Infernal Devices; the trilogy is the prequel of the Mortal Instruments series.  Seeing as I had previously hated this author, I found this book to be a pleasant, and fun, surprise. 
 “Clockwork Angel” tells the story of Theresa “Tessa” Gray, a recently orphaned teenaged girl, and her experiences with the supernatural side of London. She comes over to London from America to live with her older brother Nate. Things, however, don’t exactly go as planned. Tessa is imprisoned by two evil women until she is rescued by a group of Shadow Hunters (men and women who fight demons, also known as Nephilim) and takes refuge at their Institute, while they help her search for her brother.
 All of the Shadow Hunters that Tessa meets are unique and special in their own rights. William Herondale is a cocky, handsome, and tortured teenager that Tessa feels an inexplicable attraction to. Jem, or James Carstairs is a kind and sympathetic person that Tessa can confide in. Another Shadow Hunter is Jessamine Lovelace, a girl who is not only hostile but also rather unpleasant to Tessa. Tessa herself is a very brave and courageous girl who harbors enough sense to not do rash things, but is not a bore.
 Although the story is told in third person perspective, it focused enough on the thoughts and feelings of the characters that it felt just as if it was in first person. The book itself is addictive. Once I started reading it, I couldn’t tear myself away from the riveting story and the wonderful writing. Not to say that this is a short book, but it kept my attention the entire way, even through some less action filled parts. Furthermore, the story has just enough of every genre to make it a compelling mix. There is adventure, sci-fi, and a dash of romance to satisfy everyone’s inner romantic. In addition to being the winner of the 2011YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Association) Teens Top Ten Award and a #1 New York Times bestseller, the book has also won many other awards.
 The “Clockwork Angel” was a thrilling read that made me eager to get the next book once I’d finished it. Clare did a fantastic job of portraying London as it would have been back then. I enjoyed this book very much and by the end of it, you will feel as if you have been transported to Victorian London.