Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte | Teen Ink

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

By TammysSirens BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
TammysSirens BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

"We're all mad here" -Lewis Carroll

Alice In Wonderland

In the classic novel Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, originally published in 1847, Bronte writes a novel surrounded by disastrous love and endless conflicts. The story is described through Nelly Dean’s memories of Heathcliff and Catherine’s relationship that seems to sprout many problems. Heathcliff is a wretched man, driven to fulfill his revenge by manipulating others and deceiving the vulnerable. Catherine is a spoiled and arrogant woman who falls helplessly in love with Heathcliff, even claiming “I am Heathcliff”, a quote that shows the strong resemblances between the two. Though Catherine loves Heathcliff, she marries Edgar Linton out of social advancement. Heathcliff, who was treated poorly by many, loved Catherine just as much and sought revenge upon Edgar Linton by marrying Edgar’s sister and hopefully claiming Thrushcross Grange for himself.
      Catherine’s character is divided into two: One who wants Edgar Linton and a much stronger side that wants Heathcliff. Catherine, whose character is selfish, seeks to marry Edgar purely for society norms, ignoring her feelings for Heathcliff but keeping her need to stay friends with him. Her indecisive thoughts caused running jealousy through Edgar and a feeling of betrayal towards Heathcliff.
      Through Catherine’s love and Heathcliff’s revenge, conflicts arise and drama worthy scenes play. The novel stretches on about Catherine’s need for society advancement over love and Heathcliff’s inability to feel forgiveness. The story in itself is about drama and long lasting love. Those who love drama and historical fiction would love Wuthering Heights.