A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer | Teen Ink

A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

November 20, 2014
By Jmcneely BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Jmcneely BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

A Child Called It /Dave Pelzer
Health Communications, Inc. 1995,183
Auto Biography
The story A Child Called it astonished me by telling me an story about a young boy who is constantly fighting to stay alive. Dave Pelzer was a child that had a life filled with pain and torture but never reached out for help because he knew that it would just cause him more suffering.

    This book teaches you about a child of courage who fights to stay alive. Even in his own home with his own mother who is supposed to help heal the pain she instead creates it. Everyday Dave wakes up in a cold garage on a military cot covered in newspaper as his blanket, wishing he had never woke up he starts his day of misery. His mother never had the heart to treat him as her own child, she only gave him his brother’s leftover cereal for breakfast and that’s only if he had completed his chores in the morning. Dave went to school on a daily bases, and never reached out for help although the school knew about his situation they never dared to call Dave’s mother because they knew what danger would await him at home.

   I recommend this book for mainly teenagers because most teens don’t know what luck they have to be in a loving family and have the wealth they do after reading this book I realized that I complained about little things that didn’t even matter to Dave all he really wanted to get was love from his mother, and his father. His dad had never been home and when he was he gave Dave no hope about life. Although Dave had been treated poorly he never gave up on his life and he still accepted life for what it contained and how it was laid out for him. The author left chills in my body after each word I read, and left me wanting to read more each time. The main thing I loved about this book was that I felt like I was in his situation. At one time in the book Dave was stabbed by his own mother and was reaching out for help from his father in that very moment my stomach was in knots for him and I could no longer hold back my tears.
  
    Altogether this book is full of sorrow and will leave you feeling blue. If you are a person who doesn’t like to feel sadness then this defiantly is not the book for you. This book will teach you to love your life no matter the situation. If you read this book just make sure you have a box of tissues by you, and be prepared to read about a journey through the life of a young boy who never had a life that he deserved.