Struck by lightning by Chris Colfer | Teen Ink

Struck by lightning by Chris Colfer

November 20, 2014
By ZLakovich113 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
ZLakovich113 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Struck by Lightning
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers,2012,272 pp.
Realistic fiction

Carson Philips the lowest of the lowest in high school doesn’t have many friends. He loves to write for the school newspaper. Carson wants to be the chief editor at the New York Times when he grows up.
Carson lives with his with his divorced, unemployed, lazy, alcoholic mother.  He practically lives at school staying after every day until six. He devotes almost all of his time writing the school newspaper. Carson only has on friend Meg, a girl that has great ideas about what to write, and later finds out they have become books. He desperately wants to go to Northwestern University. When he discovers he has to create a school literary magazine with student entries, Carson starts to wonder how he will get people to write for him.
The first line made me cry in laughter saying.  “One more year with these s--theads and I’ll be free”. Never in this book will you feel the need to skip forward. For anyone having a bad day and needs to be cheered up read this! The ending will tear you apart with anger and confusion. This book changes mood every flip of the page and that’s why I think I enjoy this wonderful book so much.
I could read this book over and over again and still crack up laughing. There’s No doubt in my mind that this book will ever get below five stars. I imagine the author a comedian not an author. This book left me with more joy than ever. I will always recommend this book as a definite read.