The Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer | Teen Ink

The Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

November 20, 2014
By M.Miles BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
M.Miles BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Child Called “It” /Dave Pelzer
Health Communications, Inc. 1995, 180 pp.
Autobiography
You are freezing cold and you must sleep on a junky mattress as if you’re a dog. Learning the torturous games that you’re involved in or you’ll be punished in the worse way possible. You’re considered an “It” and treated lower than the dirt on the ground.
In this situation was young David Pelzer at a young age this boy never got the childhood he deserved. He had to mature fast for his age and basically be a slave. His self of steam, faith and hope was no longer existent, because of the way David had to live for years. Believing was just another fantasy for him every time things would’ve got a little better, they would take a huge turn to misery again. The pain in David’s life should’ve been put to an end long ago, but no one knows the secret he has to live with forever. Surviving hopelessly on what is coming next for David is death, starvation, suffocating, freezing, or bleeding. He knows the woman will find way to play one of her horrific games on him, but all David has left is the will to survive and the little bit of hope of staying alive to find warm comforting sensation of happiness and a family who loves him very much.
This story was written in First-person and is simply easy to capture the emotions the character feeling. This is most definitely a powerful text and has strong emotions and makes you think outside of the book for the people who actually go through what the character goes through.  This text should have caught a lot of reader’s attention because this book is very heart-felt. Some parts even anger you in the book that were not fair AT ALL and makes you think what was going through their heads as people. The book overall was very interesting and I would recommend it to anyone who loves books that has a lot of emotions and learning a lot of peoples life stories.
Throughout the whole book The Child Called “It”, this did have me on the edge of my seat it and it did have me interested the whole time. My heart fell for David I felt very sad for him as a reader because I know David will have to remember the scars and things that happened to him forever. Though some part of me is happy for him because he was able to make it through the rough times and tell the world about his story and go on and be successful.