A World Away by Nancy Grossman | Teen Ink

A World Away by Nancy Grossman

By Vegalina BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
Vegalina BRONZE, Olympia, Washington

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

~ Dr. Seuss

“We live in our world, they live in theirs”.  That is what sixteen-year old Eliza Miller was always taught.  But when she is given the opportunity to discover and explore the fancy world, that is her final goal. On this journey, Eliza encounters several amazing, dangerous, and exhilarating experiences.
  The story focuses on how two completely opposite  families becoming the largest impact on each others lives.  The Millers who are Amish, are a family of three.  Becky is a bossy, “Good Amish”, and  stubborn mom when her husband is kind and always busy.  Eliza, their daughter, is a rebellious and just wants to leave the “Plain Wold”. Eliza’s english host family includes Sam, the sweet, working man, Rachel the caring but stern mom, and two kids. Jamie is quite, and Ben is the bossy child, but they both adore Eliza.
I enjoyed many parts of this book. Especially learning about other cultures.The traditions, as in Sunday services, and then going to a member of what some people would call a perfect utopia’s community for dinner.  Gossiping and quilting circles are a few activities that women do for fun as well as going to parties with music.  Due to not having any electricity (cell phones, stoves, computers, artificial lighting, etc), housework took about a day to complete.The crazy emotions that the author expressed vibrantly made me feel the thrill of using a cell phone for the first time. The nervousness of seeing a movie in a theater for the first time, and the danger and exhilaration of breaking customs.
Even though there are many parts that i enjoyed about this book, I did not like the beginnings of the chapters.  They were very vague and the word choice was NOT powerful. The introductions are also repetitive of the last chapter.
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about a girl who feels like she wants to see more of the world.