The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros | Teen Ink

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

By tnvictoria SILVER, Scotch Plains, New Jersey
tnvictoria SILVER, Scotch Plains, New Jersey

"A man can be destroyed but not defeated."
-Ernest Hemingway

My Journey to The House on Mango Street

What separates Young Adult Fiction from any other genre of books is that it successfully deals with one of the most difficult as well as defining periods in a person’s life: adolescence…painfully awkward and eye-opening, but still essential to growth. It is a popular genre simply because of all the teenagers out there who can relate to everything written in the books and have an easier time experiencing adolescence as a result.

My English teacher brought in an armful of hardcover books and passed them out some time during the second week of school. The novel looked unexpectedly thin, a far cry from other, lengthier classic books I had expected in the English curriculum. The cover was adorned with a freakishly cartoonish picture of a crimson-colored house and a girl peering out of it through a window.

As my class travelled through the story, we met Esperanza Cordero, her family, and all the eccentric characters that lived on her street. We learned about Esperanza’s hopes, dreams, thoughts, and emotions, all the while laughing at boys who thought clouds looked like God and girls who married marshmallow salesmen. As I began to ponder Esperanza’s story more deeply, I started to realize why we were even bothering to read such a book in a 9th grade English class, especially when it contained fragmented sentences and scattered ideas that were usually strongly discouraged in writing.

Esperanza is a girl at the cusp between childhood and adulthood. She’s beginning to recognize her own identity and goals for the future, but at the same time struggling with growing up. It’s a situation that most young adults find themselves in. And while most young adults do not live on a “Mango Street”, they can still relate reasonably well to Esperanza’s experiences. First off, Esperanza does not like who she is, starting from her own name. She feels that it is too long and gives away the wrong image of who she is. More importantly, Esperanza is ashamed of where she lives and how her family is too poor to be able to afford a better home. Her greatest dream is to be able to own a “house of her own” someday that she will be proud to live in. Although this seems too distant from some teenagers’ lives, everyone is probably ashamed of their identity in some way or another. Many young adults don’t feel too great about their family, their heritage, the clothes they wear, or the way they act. They wish to escape from these conditions. If this is the case, then they all have something in common with Esperanza.

Esperanza is a generally likeable character who is intelligent, vivacious, and determined but human at the same time. Readers feel her emotions and empathize with her as she describes major events that occur during her one-year stay on Mango Street. She is happy and relieved when she makes her first friends, self-conscious and embarrassed when forced to dance with ugly shoes on at a party, and shocked and traumatized during her first sexual encounter. During this time, she gradually loses some of her childhood innocence and gains emotional maturity. It is not an easy period of time, full of ups and downs and much awkwardness on Esperanza’s part. However, it successfully and realistically captures the process of a person’s coming of age. At the end, Esperanza emerges unscathed, the only difference being her new ideas about the people around her and a better sense of the woman she is striving to become. Readers, after learning about Esperanza, are reminded that everyone has the power to overcome painful or awkward experiences.

Another aspect that separates The House on Mango Street from other classic novels is the style in which it is written, in a series of short vignettes made up of simple sentences. There are no vocabulary words that belong on an SAT list, nor any grammar that your teacher would approve of. Younger readers are able to understand what is going on in the story, yet the language is complex enough for older readers to still study. There are descriptive similes and personification as well as sentences that contain more meaning than they seem to have at first. It is precisely this quality that allows the book to be enjoyed by everyone, not just a small selection of educated scholars.

Although The House on Mango Street is not necessarily a literary classic in terms of language and writing, it is a truly timeless book when it comes to conveying ideas about adolescence and what it means to really live in this world. In other words, it is one of the best Young Adult novels that there is to read.

Sackabones said...
Sackabones, Santa Clarita, California
The book title is called The House on Mango Street written by Sandra Cisneros. I recommend this book because it includes mini-stories that provide different perspectives on Esperanza’s life.

The story is about a 12-year-old girl, named Esperanza living in Chicago and takes place in the early 1980s, in the United States. It's written in short stories making a year of her life in Mango Street. Esperanza talks about herself and what she does daily. Later in the book, she talks about everyone around her. She goes out of the box by talking about the character’s feelings and future.

The setting of the book takes place in a low-income neighborhood in Chicago. During her time on Mango Street, Esperanza comes to admire a sexually adventurous young woman, named Sally. Sally has an abusive father who takes pleasure in hitting her. She finds an outlet with boys and finds no problem with being easy. I believe this to be because she does not find safety and comfort at home with her abusive father. This is not a healthy friendship that ends up damaging the relationship with Esperanza, as Esperanza also is confused and wanting to explore more the idea of desiring boys.

The three sisters, or old aunts, only came out once in the book at Lucy and Rachel’s baby sister’s funeral. Esperanza finds them fascinating. They compliment Esperanza on her name and tell her she is special and that she will go far. They tell her to make a wish, so Esperanza does, and then they tell her it will come true. After having talked with them, Esperanza feels guilty for her wish however is told that she will always be on Mango Street. Could these sisters be mind readers? Fortune tellers? It’s a good read and I recommend you read it to find out.

In summary, the book is very interesting on how Esperanza explained her point of view in that one year living on Mango Street. Also on how she explained the feelings of others, like Sally. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes reading short stories that make one whole story. And also if you enjoy books about coming of age, drama in real-life situations, and growing up in a diverse neighborhood.

Portiz-14 said...
Portiz-14, Fontana, Georgia
The book's title is "The House on Mango Street".
The author is Sandra Cisneros
In my opinion I think you guys should read this book because it connects you to the life of adolescence and gives examples of situations you could relate to.

A brief summary of this book is that its about a girl named Esperanza who challenges through life. Esperanza is Latina and is growing up in Chicago and finds it challenging that she is a Latina and has to grow up in an American city. She goes through situation that us adolescence can relate to for example taking the wrong shoes to a party (I think we can all relate to that). All Esperanza wants is to be like the other girls wear makeup, have nice clothes, and eventually be popular for us girls that's a dream we all want and for the boys is that they are popular, look good, and have nice hair. All of the people that Esperanza know who's name is Esperanza are women who don't live life she got her name from her great-grandmother she would always sit near the window and imagine the things she could be doing. As stated in the story, "I was my great-grandmother's name and now it is mine... She looked out the window her whole life, the way so many women sit their sadness on an elbow... Esperanza. I have inherited her name, but I don't want to inherit her place by the window." Esperanza wants to enjoy life and leave the house on Mango Street.