The Flowers of Evil • by Shuzo Oshimi | Teen Ink

The Flowers of Evil • by Shuzo Oshimi MAG

October 26, 2014
By CatSword SILVER, Leavenworth, Kansas
CatSword SILVER, Leavenworth, Kansas
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Flowers of Evil redefines the Japanese genre of comics called shonen, which might be more familiar from titles like Naruto and Attack on Titan. Its story goes far beyond the average comic into something that even adults could find themselves deeply analyzing.

Takao, a lone bookworm in middle school, lets his hormones get the best of him one day and steals the gym clothes of Saeki, the girl he has a crush on. It just so happens that another girl, Nakamura, a troublemaker famously known for misbehavior such as calling a teacher names, catches him in the act and uses it as an opportunity to blackmail him into a contract of sorts.

Once Takao becomes involved with Nakamura, something blossoms. Personality-wise, they’re polar opposites: Takao wants to mind his own business, while Nakamura isn’t afraid to challenge any reality she hates. But as he spends more and more time with her, he finds himself analyzing her, agreeing with her, and perhaps even becoming friends with her.

Middle school is a critical time, and the author of this manga so realistically explores the way middle schoolers act, from vocabulary to relationships, that it truly has to be seen to be believed.

After that, the story skips ahead, letting you grow up with the characters and showing the effects of their actions years later.

You’ll laugh. You’ll cringe. You’ll gasp in shock. You’ll spend sleepless nights turning page after page. And most importantly, you’ll wonder if this is a simply a comic or an important piece of literature that deserves to be examined for its characterization and unique storytelling. Don’t miss it.