Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs | Teen Ink

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

We are all aware of the saying, "Don't judge the book by it's cover." Of course, we are. But in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, "Don't get fooled by the book's cover." is more appropriate.

I read this book for two reasons; (1) because one of my close friends continuously talked about it and it's awesomeness, and (2) because I was craving for a creepy read and the cover just gave me the chills whenever I pass by it on the bookstore so I thought this might be the book I was looking for. But, guess what? After a few pages, all my expectations crashed and was burnt into ash.

First, the pictures are amazing and knowing that they are real vintage pictures makes me proud of the effort Ransom Riggs made of collecting and making a story out of them. I'm just not sure that the story and the way it was told made good use of those photographs and the feels they give off to the readers. There are some scenes that are a bit off and seem to not support each other. The book started out good but the excitement and thrills just went downwards in the middle and went a bit high again at the climax.

The plot itself is interesting enough though an institution for children with special powers isn't that original (see Xmen and some anime). I liked the idea of loops and its weaknesses, of the monster with tentacle tounges (though I just wish his strength/power is justified and not just his appearance), and I also like the weird love story of Jacob Portman and his grandfather's ex-girlfriend (ew, I know. but that's what makes it interesting). There's just a lot of things that Riggs should have made and changed to make the book into a leaf-turner or something worthy of at least four stars.

Also, I wish that the characters are really children (6-12) and not teens 'cause, you know, it's supposed to be 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar CHILDREN' and not 'peculiar TEENS'. 

All in all, it's not something I'd personally recommend and I'll smack my friend in the face for making it sound so awesome and setting my expectations above the line. But I'll surely read the sequel; because I believe in Riggs and I know he can do better