The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By arreads12 BRONZE, Moncks Corner, South Carolina
arreads12 BRONZE, Moncks Corner, South Carolina

Utopia or Dystopia?
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a remarkable book that does not fit into the category of utopia. The plot is that Katniss Everdeen’s sister is chosen to go fight to the death, but Katniss bravely volunteers to take her place. Katniss now has to fight to the death.
The Hunger Games is not a utopian text. It is the exact opposite, dystopia, which means the society is an illusion of a perfect world. There are several reasons why The Hunger Games is dystopian. The first reason is because a figurehead, President Snow, is worshiped. Another reason why The Hunger Games is not utopian is that the people in the districts are under constant surveillance by the peacekeepers. Finally, individuality is discouraged. For example, the citizens do not get to choose where they live or what job they have. This book belongs to the dystopian genre.
Some may say the book is an example of utopia, but I disagree. Utopia means that the society has no poverty and demonstrates social equality. The Hunger Games does not portray these characteristics. A majority of the population experiences extreme poverty. Why else would the citizens risk their children’s lives to receive extra food? There is absolutely no equality; the capitol is prosperous while the other people are starving. The Hunger Games does not belong to the utopian genre.