The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry

September 18, 2014
By Jacob_Stevens BRONZE, Chicago, South Carolina
Jacob_Stevens BRONZE, Chicago, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
RMC


My Critical Review on The Giver

  The Giver was written by Lois Lowry. It is about a 13 year old boy named Jonas who is chosen to be the giver and then digs deeper into the government and finds out it’s not like he expected it. This text does not fit into the genre of a utopian literature because the society isn’t perfect, so it’s dystopian.

  For example Jonas has to take a pill because he has strong feelings towards another person in his dreams. Also when he asked his parents if they loved him they said “no, but we are proud of you.”  When he digs deeper into the government he finds out what a releasing of a child/elder and realizes that something is wrong.

Some people would say that this is a utopian book because of the beginning of the book the society seemed perfect. When he had to take his pill and started going to the giver for a while the giver tells him not to take his pill, and then when he doesn’t he see’s big details that seemed so small to him before. He also sees a more colorful and exciting world when he doesn’t take his pill. When Jonas saw all the books that the giver had he was surprised because he has never seen a book because they didn’t seem “relevant” anymore to the people so they had no knowledge of before.

As you can see the giver is not a utopian world by the evidence I have provided, but it’s a dystopian book.