Snowflower and the Secret Fan | Teen Ink

Snowflower and the Secret Fan

December 21, 2008
By Anonymous

How much is a best friend worth? Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See is about a girl named Lily living in nineteenth-century China. At the age of seven, Lily is paired with her laotong, committing her to a life of friendship with a girl named Snowflower. Lily and Snowflower stay connected by writing to each other on a fan in nu shu, a secret form of writing developed by women and for their use only. The girls share their thoughts as they go through foot-binding, arranged marriages, and motherhood. But one misunderstanding might put their friendship in jeopardy. This is an intriguing story of friendship, secrets, and regret.

Snowflower and the Secret Fan allows the reader to explore nineteenth century China as well as the unbelievably intricate tale of two friends. See exposes details about the characters without allowing the pace of the story to slow down for a minute. The lives of these two very different women mesh together as secrets are suddenly revealed.

Although this story is unlike any other, it is best compared to Memoirs of a Geisha. Snowflower and the Secret Fan is not a memoir, but both stories include historical context as well as Asian influence.

I would strongly recommend this story because it is a timeless tale that will increase your curiosity with each page turn. Even if you do not usually care for historical fiction, you are sure to love this book. Snowflower and the Secret Fan is a thought provoking story of two good friends and one big misunderstanding.