Pet Sematary by Stephen King | Teen Ink

Pet Sematary by Stephen King MAG

By TMoneyWalk BRONZE, Alum Creek, West Virginia
TMoneyWalk BRONZE, Alum Creek, West Virginia

"I'm kind of a big deal."- Ron Burgundy

Pet Sematary by Stephen King is a novel that is certain to remain in your memory forever. King has a way of surprising readers, and with an ominously entertaining plot like this, he will definitely have you biting your nails and turning the pages.

The book revolves around the Creed family, who live near a mystical Native American burial site – now a pet cemetery – that brings the family’s pet cat back to life as a demonic being.

King has a very relatable tone in his writing, and the characters are believable. I often found myself having an I-was-thinking-the-same-thing moment. The characters deal with situations differently from the average family, but you can still relate to them.

Even though it has a terribly frightening plot, Pet Sematary contains many realistic situations. The cemetery isn’t the center of attention. It isn’t the only thing that drives the family to insanity; more accurately, it adds to their loss of brain cells.

Loss is a huge contributing factor to the family losing their minds. The father buries a loved one in the pet cemetery, knowing its power to resurrect; however, he also knows that the buried come back demonic. Knowing that and still burying a person in the cemetery is hard to imagine.

Sadness followed by madness is a great way to explain the plot, and King’s way of going from one to the other is phenomenal. This bestseller is intense, scary, and completely vile in the best ways possible. Also, it lacks a resolution, which I find incredibly frightening.

I would recommend Pet Sematary to anyone seeking a good scare. An age consideration for this book is unnecessary, since it has great vocabulary and structure for older readers but still holds the focus of a younger reader.

King’s Pet Sematary is one to add to your favorites. A plot with a family moving near a magical pet cemetery is greatly suspenseful. Sometimes, dead is better; this slogan is used in the novel and is intensely proved by King. Read the novel, and perhaps you will decide for yourself whether that’s true.