Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card | Teen Ink

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

September 1, 2014
By MufasaC24 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
MufasaC24 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

            Ender's Game is a science-fiction novel that illustrates a realistic and possible outcome for humans in a couple centuries from the present year. It gives us a feasible perspective on what humans would do and how we would protect ourselves if we are ever invaded by an alien species. The main character, Andrew (Ender) Wiggin, is a childhood genius who excels above all others in a battle of intellectual supremacy. Ender perseveres to earn the responsibility of commanding an army to fight off the alien species commonly known as the buggers or the Formics. Orson Scott Card, the author, brilliantly and realistically depicted a society where the people of the world become unified and rely on extraordinarily intelligent children to save the human species. I highly recommend this book to people interested in reading science-fiction and if you prefer reading young-adult books with complicating and complex plots and word usage.

            Orson Scott Card illustrates the characters' emotions without actually telling the reader how the character feels. He does this through his vivid descriptions of the character's thoughts and actions.  Because of this writing style, the reader is able to experience the characters’ feelings and emotional responses. Through his writing, Card displays the life lesson that survival is key. This life lesson is presented throughout the story because the plot revolves around human survival from the Formics.

            This book is recommended for an audience of teenagers and young-adult readers. In Ender’s Game, Card uses moderate profanity and the book is probably not suitable for younger readers. The book also has a couple of graphic violent scenes which are definitely not recommended for a younger age group. Some scenes require higher-level readers due to wording and vocabulary complications.

            Ender’s Game is a science-fiction novel that is narrated from an omniscient point-of-view. The main character is Andrew (Ender) Wiggin and his temperament is a mix of his two siblings’ (compassionate and loving Valentine and cruel and murderous Peter), which plays a massive part in the story. The book takes place in Ender’s hometown (Greensboro, North Carolina), then moves to Battle School (a satellite that orbits Earth, and finally, Command School (the Formics’ previous home planet). Ender makes some good friends such as Alai and Bean, but as he slowly becomes the Alpha, he is forced to grow farther away from his friends, and he just wants to become a normal kid again. Then, Ender realizes what’s at stake and tries his best to save Earth and mankind along with it.

            Ender’s Game is a great young-adult science-fiction novel for anyone who wants to read a complicating, challenging, and interesting book. Orson Scott Card did an amazing job creating a realistic society that humans may have to adjust to in the future. The book describes the struggles Ender Wiggin has to face with the fate of the world resting on his shoulders. So, will Ender be able to defend Earth from the alien species, or will the Formics prevail, once and for all?