Lord of the Flies by William Golding | Teen Ink

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

September 1, 2014
By vmv13 BRONZE, Thornwood, New York
vmv13 BRONZE, Thornwood, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

William Golding’s 1954 novel, Lord of the Flies, suggests that war is omnipresent and influences the identities in society. Golding supports his suggestion by creating scenes in which his character’s goodness diffuses into darkness and evil due to lack of rules and strong adult role models. Golding has written this novel in order to expose that the true nature of mankind is relentless, tyrannical and surly until shaped to be civil. The author writes in an informal tone to be understood by young adults who seek his deeper message which is weaved throughout the novel.

This novel tells the tale of young British school boys who are stranded on a tropical island in the South Pacific. These young boys are without adult supervision and gradually turn from apt in mind, body and spirit to foul and fiendlike soldiers in war. Some notable characters include Ralph, Jack, Piggy and Simon who each exhibit different characteristics confirming Golding’s memorandum. Ralph, elected leader of the island, is the symbol of civilization and order. He remains moral and suggests ways to reroute behavior that could turn reckless but in the end is distraught with his new knowledge of tragedy and the power of immorality in people. Jack is completely different from Ralph because he is the definition of a savage. His immoral actions throughout the novel show the loss of innocence and struggle for power young people go through every day. Piggy is the weak- link of the novel and is prim and proper because of his interaction with adults in his background. He and Simon are alike because they are both good hearted civil boys but their outcome represents that their characteristics are scant in society.

I admire this novel because it has an interesting storyline unlike countless other titles I have read this past year. The whole theme of being stranded on an island and being left to your own devices to survive is an exhilarating story in itself; however because Golding weaves in social commentary on the defects in society this novel instigates the mind on a new level, while submerging it into a story with fire, beasts and death.