The End by Lemony Snicket | Teen Ink

The End by Lemony Snicket

December 17, 2008
By Anonymous

Have the Baudelaire Children prevailed? Do they find land and escape the clutches of Count Olaf, the sea, and mushy beans? Will they escape to an island where treachery, schisms, and villainy have never stepped foot? Do the Baudelaire Orphans escape to a life of peace, inventing,reading, biting,and cooking, or is this new settlement only the home to another unfortunate event? The last novel in A Series of Unfortunate Events is a tale of betrayal and mystery. The End, Pen-name Lemony Snicket's last installment, will leave readers wanting more.


The End, a tale of woe and catches, stands on the same grounds as the other books. It is true to its reocurances. The Narrator still vents about his life, and problems, and how it is his duty to record the lives of the Baudelaire Orphans. Every name of every place, and thing is alliterated; coconut cordial, Lousy Lane, Decision Day etc. Also, the characters stick to their self guidelines, and personalities to a point where the people around them should shoot them. There are still thirteen chapters, and fifteen images(beginning, at the beginning of every chapter, and one randomly placed). Sunny slowly improves her ability to speak and cook. Sunny still some times says things backwards or just gets the vowels in. The End can only be distinguished by the content of the book


Many morals can be thought of for The End. The easiest one; Sometimes life throws bad things at you can be seen after reading very few pages of the book, but that is true for all the books, and can be found just about anywhere in the book. Another moral can be said later in the book, yet stops conveying the message after the average reader could figure it out is: Parents just try to protect you. None of these life lessons are not the intention of pen-name Lemony Snicket. In my opinion, the moral is:there is a catch to every thing, or free comes at a price. The price the Baudelaires pay is a bad history of a thought to be bland place. Many morals can be found in The End.

My experience reading this book was like any other reviewers experience; read it quickly so you can meet the deadline of the review. Most reviewers have to weave a couple of factors into their time working: previously planned engagements, eating, and sleeping. All were true for me, but I had to weave in a few factors of my own: school, my small attention span, procrastination. My attention span doesn't stop me, but procrastination does. Through force of will, I was able to read one hundred pages every night for three nights before going to bed. While reading under the blanket with a flash light I am thinking to myself, "Why aren't any of the questions being answered? It's the last book for crying out loud!".Then, when I finally finish the book I think: This was a complete waste of my time; which brings me to my next topic: buy it, or not? Although The End ends with a bang, it is like watching Wanted. There is a minimal outcome. Out of all of the questions asked throughout the series, none of them were answered. My advice to all of you: Read it when there is nothing else for you to do.


Overall, The End will leave readers astonished. Will the Baudelaire Orphans find a loving and nurturing home? Can they trust their new "family" and reveal all of the Baudelaire secrets? Do they escape to a life without secrecy, schisms, and V.F.D? Does the villain die? Does The End have a fairy tale ending. Has thirteen taken the next step of evolution and turned to the lucky stage, or has it merely sat on the couch and done nothing?