Heat by Mike Lupica | Teen Ink

Heat by Mike Lupica

December 17, 2008
By Jessica Cox PLATINUM, Dexter, Michigan
Jessica Cox PLATINUM, Dexter, Michigan
21 articles 0 photos 0 comments

He felt the sharp pain in the back of his head in that moment, like a rock hitting him back there. Then Ramon went down like somebody had tackled him from behind. This is kind of like Mike Lupica's writing style. Mike Lupica likes to leave his readers hanging.

The book Heat is about a 12 year old boy named Michael Arroyo who lives with his 17 year old brother. His father died when he was 11. He is an amazing baseball player that has a dream of going to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. There are two things standing in the way of his dream. That is that if they find out his father is dead then he will have to move into a foster care home. His brother Carlos is going to be 18 in six months. Once Carlos is 18 they will be able to live together on there own legally. If they get caught they will get put into a foster care home and most likely split apart. There is another problem because Michael doesn't have a birth certificate so there is no proof that he is 12.

I think my book is very good. I like it because the author left you hanging a lot so you wanted to keep going on to find out what happens. I liked how the author described things out so you can see the seen in your mind. Another thing that I liked is the beginning. It drew me right into the book and it made me want to read on and read the whole book. If I had to recommend this book to anyone I would recommend it to one of my friends. Almost all of my friends play baseball and would probably be interested in this book. I think I chose a really good book and it is a good book for anyone to read.