Life of Pi by Yann Martel | Teen Ink

Life of Pi by Yann Martel MAG

Pi Patel is a 16-year-old boy who takes a ship with his family and their zoo animals from India across the Pacific Ocean. Before they reach Canada the boat sinks, and Pi is thrown overboard and onto a lifeboat. He soon realizes he is not alone; with him are a hyena, an injured zebra, an orangutan, and a 450-pound tiger named Richard Parker. Pi must use all his knowledge and courage to survive.

When the book begins, Pi is already an adult, settled in Canada, reliving his childhood. He describes that he was born into Hinduism but discovered Christianity and Islam during a family vacation. He also spends time at his family’s zoo and the swimming pool. And then his family ­decides to sell some of their ­animals and move to Canada.

And this is how the ship sinks and Pi is stuck in a lifeboat with a deadly tiger. As the tiger kills and eats the others, Pi uses his knowledge from working at the zoo to try to tame him.

I really enjoyed Life of Pi. I especially liked Pi’s point of view and how the book began when he was already an adult. Yann Martel really made Pi come to life. Even though the plot seems far-fetched, Martel’s writing makes it seem plausible and real. I also liked how he developed Pi’s character. It was interesting how Pi was ­religious and scientific. These characteristics usually don’t mix well, but Martel pulls it off. I really liked the book ­because it was exciting and very different.

on Oct. 2 2010 at 11:32 am
AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

Good review, but you didn't even mention the ending, which is really important to understanding the book and what it is about.

on May. 3 2010 at 11:45 am
HalliewoodYeaah BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors."
— Khaled Hosseini

I have one thing to say about this review: It's all over the place! It's not very easily read. Work on your details! You sentence structure is fine, but be careful about your paragraphs.

i<3steven! said...
i<3steven!, Newcastle, California

*john-son-johnson*
Inside Joke

yeah...i guess i am into this really cool new book called dark visions....reall good

bookcrazy PLATINUM, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
I agree with you. I think the book as a whole was worthwhile to read, but there are definitely some huge holes in the story and the author’s reasoning. I personally thought the author took too much time with the "survival part" of the book and could have instead elaborated more on the last conversation.

i<3steven! said...
i<3steven!, Newcastle, California

*john-son-johnson*
Inside Joke

i have friends who say that this is a good book, but i am not so sure, i liked it, but it took me a while to get into it

PyronKim GOLD said...
on Feb. 24 2010 at 2:51 am
PyronKim GOLD, Busan, Other

Bend or Break.

I love the part with the man-eating trees

or when the french guy tries to eat Pi....

a bit brutal perhaps but an overall good book

on Jan. 23 2010 at 11:05 am

— John Green

amazing book :)

messijessi BRONZE, Malvern, Pennsylvania
I just love that book, ever since I first read it in 5th grade. It's differend, and really unique.

SloopyMcCoy said...
I love this book! In honors english IIII they were reading it and one of my friends in that class was telling me about it ("There was this donkey and a cat and a monkey on a boat with a kid and the cat-- no wait, it was a tiger-- wanted to eat the kid but the kid tamed it then they landed on this island where the merkats ate everyone and I haven't gotten to the end yet-- no wait! The donkey was a zebra! I remember!") So I read it. I loved it. You wrote a great review, by the way.