Life of Pi by Yann Martel | Teen Ink

Life of Pi by Yann Martel MAG

December 17, 2008
By Anonymous

Pi Patel is a 16-year-old boy who takes a ship with his family and their zoo animals from India across the Pacific Ocean. Before they reach Canada the boat sinks, and Pi is thrown overboard and onto a lifeboat. He soon realizes he is not alone; with him are a hyena, an injured zebra, an orangutan, and a 450-pound tiger named Richard Parker. Pi must use all his knowledge and courage to survive.

When the book begins, Pi is already an adult, settled in Canada, reliving his childhood. He describes that he was born into Hinduism but discovered Christianity and Islam during a family vacation. He also spends time at his family’s zoo and the swimming pool. And then his family ­decides to sell some of their ­animals and move to Canada.

And this is how the ship sinks and Pi is stuck in a lifeboat with a deadly tiger. As the tiger kills and eats the others, Pi uses his knowledge from working at the zoo to try to tame him.

I really enjoyed Life of Pi. I especially liked Pi’s point of view and how the book began when he was already an adult. Yann Martel really made Pi come to life. Even though the plot seems far-fetched, Martel’s writing makes it seem plausible and real. I also liked how he developed Pi’s character. It was interesting how Pi was ­religious and scientific. These characteristics usually don’t mix well, but Martel pulls it off. I really liked the book ­because it was exciting and very different.