Where the Red Fern Grows | Teen Ink

Where the Red Fern Grows

December 17, 2008
By Jessica Cox PLATINUM, Dexter, Michigan
Jessica Cox PLATINUM, Dexter, Michigan
21 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“ He pinched my dogs ear so I had to punch him.” The book Where the Red Fern Grows is an awesome book that tells the life of and 11-year-old boy who desperately wants dogs of his own.
Billy is 11 years old and wants dogs so badly that he decides to save up his money, and go to the city to get his dogs. Once he does get them he spends the rest of the time hunting. He worries his mom constantly and gets himself in some weird retirements this story about a boy and his love for dogs is a great book to read.
Something I like about the book is that Billy is my age and I can relate to him. When I was 11 I went outside and was out there from dawn to dusk.
What you did really well in this book is that the characters had traits that made them seem more real. The characters didn't just have the traits needed for a story. They made them more 3-D more
I like how the story is told, from the point of view of the older man, its like the whole story is a flashback. Not many stories are like that so it was cool to see it written like that.
One thing I didn't like was that the grandpa wasn't as involved in the story as he could have been. He could have liked helping train the dogs with Billy or help him hunt. The reason why I would've liked the grandpa more involved is because he seemed to know a lot about coon hunting so I think he could have helped Billy a lot.
A character that really caught my attention was the marshal when he was in town, I don't know why but he interested me. He bought him a soda and helped him break a fight. The marshal is defiantly somebody I would've liked show up more in the story.