Where the Red Fern Grows | Teen Ink

Where the Red Fern Grows

By Jessica Cox PLATINUM, Dexter, Michigan
Jessica Cox PLATINUM, Dexter, Michigan

“ He pinched my dogs ear so I had to punch him.” The book Where the Red Fern Grows is an awesome book that tells the life of and 11-year-old boy who desperately wants dogs of his own.
Billy is 11 years old and wants dogs so badly that he decides to save up his money, and go to the city to get his dogs. Once he does get them he spends the rest of the time hunting. He worries his mom constantly and gets himself in some weird retirements this story about a boy and his love for dogs is a great book to read.
Something I like about the book is that Billy is my age and I can relate to him. When I was 11 I went outside and was out there from dawn to dusk.
What you did really well in this book is that the characters had traits that made them seem more real. The characters didn't just have the traits needed for a story. They made them more 3-D more
I like how the story is told, from the point of view of the older man, its like the whole story is a flashback. Not many stories are like that so it was cool to see it written like that.
One thing I didn't like was that the grandpa wasn't as involved in the story as he could have been. He could have liked helping train the dogs with Billy or help him hunt. The reason why I would've liked the grandpa more involved is because he seemed to know a lot about coon hunting so I think he could have helped Billy a lot.
A character that really caught my attention was the marshal when he was in town, I don't know why but he interested me. He bought him a soda and helped him break a fight. The marshal is defiantly somebody I would've liked show up more in the story.

thunder said...
on Feb. 21 2013 at 8:35 am
Book Review Outline Book title and author:  Where The Read Fern Grows, By Wilson Rawls Title of review: “Where The Red Fern Grows” Number of stars (1 to 5): 4   Introduction Billy wants two coon hounds. Description and summary of main points Billy gets jobs and starts saving his money and gets two coon hounds. Evaluation Billy enters them in the championship coon hound contest. Conclusion Billy’s dogs save him from a mountain lion and old Dan dies. Later on little Ann dies from starvation. Your final review Based on the novel by Wilson Rawls, the book follows a young farm boy as he with the help of his two hounds struggles to help his family get by in the hard times of the 1930s. Book Review Outline Book title and author:  Where The Read Fern Grows, By Wilson Rawls Title of review: “Where The Red Fern Grows” Number of stars (1 to 5): 4   Introduction Billy wants two coon hounds. Description and summary of main points Billy gets jobs and starts saving his money and gets two coon hounds. Evaluation Billy enters them in the championship coon hound contest. Conclusion Billy’s dogs save him from a mountain lion and old Dan dies. Later on little Ann dies from starvation. Your final review Based on the novel by Wilson Rawls, the book follows a young farm boy as he with the help of his two hounds struggles to help his family get by in the hard times of the 1930s.  

hysell17 said...
on Feb. 20 2013 at 9:39 am
hysell17, Point Pleasant, West Virginia

Don't be that guy.

I loved reading this book with my awesome reading teacher Mr. Allen.  Billy was a kind of kid that tried to get what he wants.  But the Pritchard boys fought and stole to get want they wanted.  Billy always made good decisions about how to hunt, how to take of his dogs, and to do the right things.  He grandpa is the one that really helped him.  His dad did not know because he would take billy's money and spend it on a new mule.

on Nov. 2 2012 at 10:37 am
One way I disagree with this person is that, he says that the grandpa doesn’t get involved enough, but I think he does get involved in the book enough. Why I think this is because the grandpa gets involved in some of the most exiting events of the book, like the big hunt, and the Pritchard boys. An agreement I have with this person is that it is a good book. I think this because the author builds up the relationship with the dogs and Billy, and gets a lot of adventure in the book. These are some disagreements and agreements I have.