The Fault In Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

August 19, 2014
By TevaR BRONZE, Kamuela, Hawaii
TevaR BRONZE, Kamuela, Hawaii
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This summer I was required to read a novel. The novel of my choice was “The Fault In Our Stars”. Its author was John Green. He decided that the genre would be young adult literature. In this story there is a sixteen year-old girl named Hazel Grace Lancaster. She goes to a support group for cancer patients. Since she has cancer, she can't breath on her own. She needs to carry around an oxygen tank. One day on her way to class she meets a boy. His name is Augustus Waters. He is there to support his friend Issac. Hazel tells him of how she has thyroid cancer that is in her lungs now. Augustus had osteosarcoma but is cancer free now. Before taking Hazel home, they agree to read each others favorite book. After a week of Augustus and Hazel talking about the meaning of “An Imperial Affliction”, Augustus tracks down Van Houten’s assistant. He shares letters from Van Houten with Hazel so she can answer questions about the ending of his book. So he invites Hazel to Amsterdam. When Augustus tells her his dying wish she is thrilled. But she is hesitant because over time she begins to like him a lot and knows that he will get hurt after she dies. So she tells him “I’m a grenade. One day I’m gonna blow and obliterate everything in my way.” That night Hazel’s lungs fill with water and she goes to the ICU. After a few days she wakes up. Augustus never left the hospital's waiting room that whole time. He shows Hazel another letter from Van Houten. But sadly, she is not strong enough to travel that far of a distance. Dr. Maria who is most familiar with her case, tells Hazel’s parents that she needs to just go on the trip. After the plans are made for Augustus, Hazel, and Hazel’s mother, the two teenagers go to meet Van Houten. They find that Van Houten is a mean hearted, drunk man. The two of them leave his house in disappointment. Van Houten’s assistant shows them a tour of Anne Frank’s house. When the tour was done, Augustus and Hazel shared a kiss. They went back to the hotel and made love for the first time ever. She says“ I fell in love the way fall asleep, slowly, and then all at once.” This book has made me feel very inspired by love and very touched at how they made sure every moment together was special.