The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder | Teen Ink

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

The book, The Day Before is written by Lisa Schroeder.  Lisa is also the author of another best-selling novel, I Heart You, You Haunt Me.  She writes books suited for ages 13 and up (teens).  I feel that Lisa has done an amazing job on the content of this book.  It is an amazing novel for teens that like short reading and love stories.  The theme that the author has instilled in this book is to think of all the positives in every negative situation.  The genre of this novel is realistic fiction because it was not based on a true story, yet all of its events are realistic.  The setting is based in various events in the state of Oregon.

One of the main characters is, Amber, a girl who was switched at birth. She decides to run away from all the drama and chaos caused by her real family because she wants to stay with her current family, although she has no choice but to go with her real family eventually.  On the last day before she has to leave with her real family, she takes the day off from school and home to spend on her own.  And that’s where she meets Cade.  Cade is a senior in high school who loves to write songs, has his own car and is mysterious/unpredictable. Cade is also trying to get away from all of the chaos and took a day off just like Amber.  A meaningful quote from this novel is, “Pain hides behind beautiful brown eyes.”  My personal connection to this quote is, on some days, I don’t have the happiest mood, or an incident happened but I don’t show that I’m sad.   I’m hiding pain behind my brown eyes.   

The plot of the story is that Amber has little time to spend by herself.  She feels uncomfortable with her new family and she can only see Cade for a day.  However, she is letting the positives outweigh the negatives. Cade and Amber can always send emails and letters.  She gets to see her real family who loves and cares about her.