The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

By IdaKalei BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
IdaKalei BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened, and that you were there."
- Dr. Suess

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a fictional romance starring Hazel Grace Lancaster. She is 17 years old and has lung cancer. Hazel’s parents decided to send her to a Support Group for teens with cancer, and that is where she met Augustus Waters. He had osteosarcoma for a while and he had lost one of his legs because of it. The two of them begin to create a relationship by trading books and talking about them together. They try and contact the author of one of those books, and they get a reply! As Hazel and Augustus fall for each other, they contemplate the meaning of life and making their mark on the world.

During the book, Augustus’ cancer came back. Not knowing whether or not he will live, he asks Hazel to write a eulogy for him. One line from it is “You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.” Their whole experience together had taught them to be grateful for the time they have on this earth while they are alive, which I think is a really great message. This book was very moving and it wasn’t just a “cancer book” where the main character “fights hard until the very end.” This book wasn’t about suffering with cancer. It was about living with cancer, which is one of the main things I love about it. I just couldn’t put it down and I was hooked through the very last sentence. I wasn’t sure if I would like this book because I thought it was just another cancer book and it wouldn’t be that great, but once I started reading, I was glad that I bought it. It was definitely worth reading and I know that I will read it over and over again!